Tuesday, December 2, 2014

"...some kind of happiness is measured out in miles..."



I took a train from Chester to Liverpool to see the Andy Warhol exhibition at the Tate Modern in Liverpool.  It was well worth the trip,  even with the crowded trains, and crowded Christmas shoppers on the streets.

I walked to a coffee shop I had read about on Bold Street, and then went on to Chinatown, I thought I had read that it was the largest Chinatown in Europe.  All I found was the beautiful arch and a street that looked like a ghost town. I think what I read must have been about the arch itself.


 A lot of this area was empty, beautiful old buildings boarded up.
 I really came to Liverpool on a whim, no real research, and I have never bothered before.  Normally, when I am in this area I go into Wales, or North to Scotland. Also, of course with the season comes short days. 
 Basically my aspirations for my day had a low bar, so I easily exceeded them by means of cheap train fare, no itinerary, and not getting lost even without access to the Internet.  Liverpool had many signs to point tourists the right direction.  The street signs themselves were a bit harder to come by, but all in all, very easy. 

The dock where the Tate is located has a (new seeming by the number of locks) love lock.  If I could have done one more thing in my day it would have been to make it to see 'Another Place' by Antony Gormley.





 

No comments: