Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Woodland Chapel, Skogskapellet på Skogskyrkogården



We missed attending 'alla helgonsdag' or if you like 'all saints day', I for one, love a holiday that survives so many years of changes.  Romantically, I am fond of the idea of leaving a lit candle to light a persons way home.
More so, I like the idea of their being enough natural darkness (or is that lack of unnatural light?) that a candle actually has impact.

I decided to walk, on my own, to Skogskyrkogården, which is only about six or seven kilometers via the bike paths.  I went in a direction so that I entered from a direction I had not done before.  Because of that, I finally found one of the chapels I had been unable to find before.

As with all areas of this cemetery, all the details were chosen and planned.  I have a lot of strong feelings about the amount of money that funerals cost. I have strong opinions about all the associated industries, and how I think people should talk about death, quality of life, and medical procedures.  And yet the goth girl inside, who wanders cemeteries because they are parks without the annoying crowds- and because one is surrounded by so many life stories, and so many reminders that a life should be lived, not pondered, not weighed down by worries about aspects that can not be controlled.

Because of that, I could see having a funeral service here, just to get the people I love to come and see what a lovely place it is. Just to remember that they get to walk out - into a life that should be appreciated.










1 comment:

Amy W said...

I think cemeteries are beautiful and peaceful. I love to wander them and look at the dates on headstones. I wonder what their story was and how they died. The first pic you posted is really beautiful. Hugs to you, my friend.