Sunday, November 2, 2014

Konst på Slussen


This piece is really interesting in it's ability to be invisible.  Yes, it is white on white - a blend of concrete and marble from around 1966 if I remember correctly- so it doesn't really stand out.  Looking at the photo though, a part of me is amazed at the amount of times I pass it, and I don't even acknowledge it, in fact I regularly forget that it is there.  Slussen is in a popular part of town, and it is a change station for many trips.  There are three exits, and a couple of levels.  This piece of art is near the train card entrance/exit on Götgaten, there is almost always a flow of people moving past, trying to avoid hitting one another, some racing in because they have just seen that they have one minute to make their train, and if it is a whole minute and they go at a fast pace, they can make that train.  The train are only ten minutes apart, but if you take the train a lot one feels those minutes add up, and who wants to think that there were hours a week wasted by not sprinting for a train?
So, I only remember this piece if I pass it during a rare hour where the entry/exit hall is empty, and my eye is not drawn to mapping out a path between bodies.
 




The grates are in a really good place, they are position for you to gaze at while waiting for a train, and for me it is a transfer train, so often I have a five minute wait as that is quickest the two trains overlap from my green line to the red.
The grates were put up in the 1990s, and apparently are in part to stop anyone from racing across the tracks (you have to go up a floor across and then down to reach them- if you are transferring)- they do look different from different angles, light, or the amount of action on the other side.
The wall mural here is also quite pretty if you stop to really look at it, but again this is a hard thing to do when normally there are crowds intent on making their way somewhere.
 

No comments: