Monday, July 7, 2014

"...But there were planes to catch and bills to pay He learned to walk while I was away..."


Samual Combs
I don't have a lot of information about my Dad.
I never did.
It's appropriate, within our storyline that I don't have much information about his death.
So he was born sometime in September in the late 1940s or was it early 1950s?
He died sometime in early July 2014.
All things considered...a surprisingly long life.
 
I should be able to write one good memory.
Well, actually I do have one,
For a short while he recorded letters, or talking, via tape and he mailed them to me. We would send these tapes back and forth.  I felt special that he would do that.  But of course kids are easy to please.
But I was not sentimental when I was young and I lost those tapes somewhere along the way.
He was poetic. He wrote well.
I do have some short stories he wrote.
 
I guess all along I had a wish that he'd get sober and be a good man, if not for me, then for the many children he had that are younger than I.
I suppose the fact that I actually have no one to tell about his dying is proof of how little we knew one another.  I guess the most I can say, is that I did want a Dad.  I did.

1 comment:

Amy W said...

I am sorry about your dad. You may not think you need one, but I am sending a hug from Colorado.