Wednesday, April 16, 2014

"California's children be they near or far...love the golden poppy of our state so dear..."

Zok was really excited to go to all the redwoods along the Hwy 1.  The drive is beautiful, and we had time to do some walking in both the redwoods on the very north coast and also Muir woods (sans ewoks sadly).

This reminded me that we did go see the Redwoods planted in 1899 in New Zealand

But the few remaining ones from thousands of years ago are hard to match.  We will never in our lifetime see the younger ones get to their full potential. Although I am happy that they do grow elsewhere.  As a 'Californian', I don't think I realized how special these trees are.  But I also realize that by being with my friends who have kids I can see how, it might be a rare thing; appreciating all the world has to offer, especially when it is a parent who is trying to show you. 



Zok and I could have used an extra day coming from the East.  I have missed a few people that I should have tried harder to see- but I am so happy that I did get to see everyone I have seen.  Of course we have one week left and the visiting isn't over yet.



I always make a vow that I will go back and study up a bit on the places we have been too, and I guess I do, at least half of the time.
I have thought about these roads I have been on- the earlier times, and really I think I was always concerned with myself- unable to really appreciate the larger picture.  The situation I was in, a job interview, trying to move, or trying to impress a friend colored the situation.  Or maybe I just worked so much, that I really didn't have the time.  But I know I lived close to nature, but rarely went into it.  Whereas in Australia I have really connected.  I suppose the adage that 'youth is wasted on the young' is true.  I did try to get out to places when I lived in Los Angeles but really I stuck close to home- going to see the Poppy fields in bloom, or to Descanso Gardens.  I did get out a bit more when I moved to the Northwest- but I did also travel a lot for work, so my experiences are definitely similar in the fact that constant motion is involved, and time for reflection is hard.

No comments: