Wednesday, April 23, 2014

"...And what is that, besides something spelled out in light bulbs, I mean - besides something called a temperament..."







When I was young and living in Los Angeles, I would think a lot about what the city and its neighborhoods must have looked like years before my time.
I would hear interesting stories, often when I was hunting for a new apartment.  I mostly wanted to rent guest houses, or parts of large apartments that were sectioned off to make a bit of extra cash.  There was usually a long chat with the person showing the apartment, and I would hear about areas that were once all farm land, full of citrus trees.  I would hear about trains that once went right down what was not some large road full of cars.

The reclaiming of downtown, has created the opportunity to get at least a good look at some of the buildings- older theatres are also being used more for shows and part of the appeal is being able to see inside the buildings.
Hotels like 'The Ace' have opened up.  Neighborhoods that were always nice pockets surrounded by areas that were less so are now all connected so one can just walk from one area to another.

I feel good downtown, because the area has changed as much as I have.
 

No comments: