Tuesday, April 2, 2013

"there are young dreams crowding out old realities"

I went to the MONA cinema not to see an Opera as originally planned but to see a live performance of the Bolshoi 'La Bayadere'.  This is a classic ballet from 1877 although it has been revised since then, but apparently rarely done in its entirety outside of Russia.
I haven't seen as many classical ballets as I have modern- at the time I was going regularly to see the Goffery Ballet perform- I picked modern ballets.
This ballet had all the elements I liked plus a bit of voyeurism- as during the breaks the cameras were focused backstage or in  the foyer.  There was a different feeling to say watching some live event on television. I did not have the thrill of dressing up and going downtown to a big event but I think moving these events from a cinema to a television feed somehow would corrode the experience. Yes, my event started at 11am, and I was not dressed up- and other audience members were drinking and eating, yet still- I had to travel and I was focused for the whole event.
Our hostess was quite the over achiever speaking three languages at the minimum, French, Russian and English. As well as translating for her interviewees on the spot.
The ticket price was $25.  I paid $100 a ticket to see The Bolshoi live in Seattle some time in the 1990s. Gold Class (from the large Australian chain) which as a venue is similar to MONAs (MONAs is better) is $35 for a first run movie release.  So $25, seemed down right cheap.  I am feeling spoiled, No I am now spoiled with MONAs existence. Hobart would be sadly lacking without it.




Construction update-
I did not think that more construction was needed on the house until the bricklayers (Brickies-in Australian speak) pointed out to me that the lines of the bricks were all sloping towards the center instead of being straight.  Zok (who truly is not good at estimating  the cost of things) really noticed that fact when the concrete porch was removed.  Also his estimation of the new porch costs were so high that all-in-all he came in close to his budget.
I on the other hand feel itchy- and a bit worried about over capitolization.
The construction is not done- and I fear odd bits of wood planking,bricks, and odd ends are all being left behind. I have cleaned up the bits of trash and tea bags tossed into my garden (!).
But the railing is still to come and the lawn and many plants will need time and attention to recover.  Some things have been put back in the wrong place and some things have not been put back at all.
Sigh.




 

No comments: