Monday, February 25, 2013

'...dancing in the moonlight on this hot summer night...'






Hobart as a town is a funny place.  Town is a true description.
When I moved to Seattle circa early '92, many of my questions were answered by the comment "Seattle is really just a town".  That seems so laughable in comparison with Hobart.  Seattle did have town quirks, quirks because really it was a city.  For instance, you could write a check for your bar tab, to messenger a package the procedure was to put the package- by itself in a cab.  Bicycle messenger soon took that over but once upon a time...
Hobart is a true town in the fact that no one is sending anything by 'messenger'.
I live 14 km out of 'town' and yet rarely does it take me more than 20 minutes to get to where I am going no matter what part of town I am going too.
"I couldn't find parking"- is not an excuse here.  Perhaps "I had to park in the lot". Or "Boy howdy it was hard to find a 3 hour meter today".  Please also note that parking in many lots is free if you stay under 2-3 hours.
 
Although when I ordered my mailbox through a chain hardware store, the mailbox came via a bus down from Launceston (the other town in Tasmania).

My prelude is really to try and explain why when any business tries to do something cool, it is almost a duty to go out and support that venture.
If not...well the state of quietude on any given night well that is just our own fault.

So my friend Fran and I went to see the documentary on Bill Cunningham at the newly opened rooftop cinema at our only local cool, independent theater- the State Theater.  There is now, also MONA but they are as previously mentioned streaming the Opera season from the N.Y. met, ballet and I am guessing smaller released independent, local (Australian) films.
Also I am hoping they will run shorts.

We enjoyed a warm (windy of course) night, and my sparkling wine was nice.
I was slightly disheartened that there were not more people.
Seattle had a bit of independent theaters, The Grand Illusion and the Pike Street Cinema, and almost always there would be people that you could tell had your same interests or at least overlapping.  I made some friends this way- not a tactic that seems to work in Hobart...


 

1 comment:

alittlevintagestory said...

So much fun, we are definitely going to have to go again! xx