Saturday, June 23, 2012

Pine Martens (Mård)



Stockholm Roller Derby is always trying to gain exposure, and to try and get 'into' sports groups.  If STRD was to be acknowledged by the city as a sport then we would have support for venues, and for hopefully a venue within Stockholm.  'Within' Stockholm in most peoples minds equals within 'zone 1' of a train ticket.
Most of the time STRD practices and competes outside of the inner zone, out to where you have to take a second train- the 'commuter' train or the pendletåg.  Roller Derby could pull a much larger audience, and get more skaters to practice if we were centralized. 

Trying to get leagues established, and trying to get Roller Derby recognized as a true sport is how I find myself ins situation that are so strange to my life, and so discordant to my history.  STRD was part of an opening ceremony in the Olympic stadium- which was honoring the hundred year anniversary of the 1912 Olympic games held here in Stockholm.

The King and Queen came around the track in a horse and carriage (!) after we skated around with the segueway polo group (polo played on segueways- but who am I to point fingers?).

I and another skater who comes from Finland were the only ones in the group excited to see the King and Queen.

My goal this year is to see a pine martin.

 Apparently many pine martins live in a park- nearby- that I can get to by traveling on the pendletåg.

No comments: