Wednesday, September 7, 2011

"I miss you now, like I guess I should have missed you then..."






I had a long weekend of derby in the city of Malmö, about a five hour drive from Stockholm.  I went with a Referee and three skaters.  Our hotel was filled with skaters from Finland.  The other Swedish team, Crime City, live in Malmö, and the last league came from nearby Copenhagen.  Talking to the skaters from Denmark was a pleasure, because since they love Princess Mary, they all know about Tasmania and there is much less confusion while talking over a beer.
They had an amazing speed skater on their team Martattack, she doesn't use toestops and controls her speed mostly by lifting her front wheels, she was amazing to watch.  I felt proud however that my derby tactics to stop her worked enough that the team won against them, in what I am told was the most exciting game of the six that were played over the weekend.  Bench coaching was sort of cool and less stressful than reffing but not quite as fun.
There were not as many fans as I would have expected- the skating ability so far outstrips the public interest.  However as you can see, by the face painting the ones that were there were quite enthusiastic.
Much singing and chanting...
I definitely take a longer time to recover from cramped spaces, long days, and longer nights.  We have an extra night off training though as I am not the only one suffering from the long weekend.
Next up- Macedonia.

No comments: