Monday, June 27, 2011

Alby Station (Red Line) T-bana Konst







I had some time to kill so I set out to visit six stops on the Red Line.
A funny by-product of all my train riding is my new found love of vending machine food that can be bought cheaply in the subway stations.
Although I have learned if you want a tasty granola bar and you have all 1kr pieces- to get the machine to take all 10 needed for the candy, one needs more than 3 minutes.

The Alby station was my favorite of all the stops. Others (that you will see later) were cooler, but many were far underground and this one reminded me of that horrible yet necessary book of my childhood, 'Flowers in the attic'.
The bright colors and basic flowers made me think of someone trapped in the bowels of this stop, waiting, waiting, waiting for the train and yearning for some day light, something bright...

The station art was done in 1975, by Olle Ängkvist.
He studied art in Stockholm in the 1940s.
He stated that these paintings were 'spontaneous' and he called the station the 'secret cave'.

No comments: