Saturday, February 19, 2011

Steamed Coconut Rice and Mixed Vegetable Salad






























This is my favorite new dish that I've talked Zok into making.
I can't express in print how much I love it, but if you know me, you can probably imagine me going on about it.

My friend Jeannie was like 'Oh yeah, I made that the other day'. But I don't think most people I know would casually make coconut rice.
But if you HAVEN'T made coconut rice, I am telling you - right now- that you should. I really think the combination of these two dishes together is what really makes the flavor great.

This recipe is for 4 people.

Steamed Coconut Rice
500 g (1 lb) long-grain white rice (we used basmati)
1 1/2 cups (375 ml/12 fl oz) coconut milk
1 teaspoon salt

Pour 2 cups (500 ml/16 fl oz) of water into a wok. Place a large sheet of baking paper in the base of a large bamboo steamer and spread the rice in the base of the steamer. Bring the water to a boil, sit the steamer over the wok (it should not touch the water) and put the lid on the steamer. Steam the rice for 35 minutes, turning the rice over halfway through the cooking time, and replenishing the water, if necessary.
Gently heat the coconut milk, with the salt, in a medium-sized pan. Add the steamed rice, bring to a boil and stir well. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and remove from the heat. Set aside for 45 minutes, or until the coconut milk is absorbed.
Spread the rice back into the paper-lined steaming bamboo basket and cover. Check that there is water in the wok and them steam for another 30 minutes.

Mixed Vegetable Salad
300 g (9 1/2 oz) fresh chopped pineapple pieces
1 cucumber, chopped
250 g (8 oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
155g (5 oz) green beens finely sliced
1/3 cup (80 ml) rice wine vinegar
2 tbl lime juice
2 red chillies, seeded and finely chopped
2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
30 g (1 oz) mint leaves to garnish

In a bowl combine the pineapple, cucumber, tomatoes, beans and toss well, cover and refrigerate until chilled. Stir the vinegar, lime juice, chillies, sugar and salt in a small bowl until sugar dissolves.
Arrange the chilled salad on a serving platter, drizzle half the dressing over the top and garnish with the mint leaves.
Serve immediately with the remaining dressing on the side.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooohh!!! I didn't make the rice that way, I took the easy way out with coconut milk and some stock in a risotto way. Yours sounds lovely.

Colleen said...

Ahhh! I made really tasty rice that way the other day, I used the rice cooker, then a veggie cube, condensed added in some fresh tomatoes and peas to make a sort of 'spanish' rice, I, thought it was amazing, but of course as usual no one else did! My house guests were a bit ...apprehensive of the rice...More for me!