Tuesday, January 25, 2011

"Whatever Lola wants...Lola gets..."





Zok had a birthday.
Perhaps the the second in fifteen years that he wasn't working.
We decided to go out to the 'Farm Bar'.
Because I like beer, and I especially like 'real ale' a type of beer that isn't as preserved, that is less carbonated and served with a hand pump not a 'tap'.
I heard about a small brewery, here on the prison island, that made their beer entirely from ingredients they grew themselves on their farm.
Finally (over a year later) I found their website, which touted a 'farm bar', where people could come and sample the beers and ciders (fruit from a neighboring orchard), use their BBQ, and even buy 'hops fed' beef.

*This year they made a 'dark ale' that has an apple-cider base and is fermented in the same process champagne is fermented.
That beer was EXCELLENT.
Please look here:
http://2mt.com.au/home.html

I envisioned a sort of cowboy movie, bell-ringing, farm court-yard set up even while all the time knowing in reality I would be drinking out of a tin shed.
Still, we invited a couple of people, and packed up what we believed to be the 'least' one might take to a BBQ.
Marinades, Tofu to grill, Corn, marinated sliced potatoes, beans from the garden, wine (just in case) and marble-bundt cake.
This in fact turned out to be a point of interest to all other patrons, and a chore for the cook (Zok) who felt the BBQ set up was "very basic" a wood fired, tin drum with a slated grill (large gaps).
All in still, the event was novel, the evening temperate, the dark ale, excellent, and company good. I drove so Zok could drink his wine, and therefore bought a six-pack to take home. The prices at the farm bar and for both meat and beer to take-away were downright inexpensive.

I, of course, was let down that baby cows were not brought out to be petted, and known by name so that the next time people could buy their dinner meat by name...
However, I seemed to be the only one who thought that marketing idea was plausible.


4 comments:

Saff said...

I can totally picture you talking to a calf and then eating it. No wonder you and Dad get along!

Anonymous said...

saff? Chewing on its ear to make it laugh?? She no eat meat so its all i can think of. Now me on the other hand I love tasty cow or even better veal!! Names just add flavour!

Pip said...

Mmm beer. I so wish I could have been there.

Sookie said...

I'd like to mention that my car load was a bit wary of my sun dress slash gum boot combo, but we had rain all morning, and I'd like to point out that I was one of several farm girls wearing them...