Wednesday, September 29, 2010

"Wonderful teachers ready to teach me, I must work on my mind"






Today is Wednesday and so the long weekend that started late Friday night, has come to an end.
For the first time, all three leagues that are in Tasmania were under one roof, as organized by Convict City. There were three skaters from Australia's first and largest league V.R.D.L.
I felt for the first time the actual sacrifice I am making by trying to become a Referee. I write 'trying' because the job is hard and complicated enough that months will pass before I know if I can actually be a decent Referee. The sacrifice I speak of, is that while the skaters learned new tactics, new drills, and new skills, I was on the side line learning about how to call penalties, avoid bias, and work the procedures. While everyone else was physically exhausted (which I think feels rewarding) I was simply mentally exhausted. While the group of skaters were bonding, I was apart.
My mantra is 'This is not about my personal derby goals, this is about my goal for derby as a whole'. Because I have to remember that I do not want to skate without refs, and more importantly I don't want to scrimmage without refs, and there are only the two of us trying to learn.
Still, I found the process hard, and unrewarding.
The skaters that gave their time to come over and share their skills were great.
Yesterday Zok and I took two of the skaters for a 'day out'. The weather has snapped back to cold, and the rain was strong, but our choice for a day out was good. We were under cover, with an open fire and a BBQ, in a pretty spot, able to drink wine, talk and watch the rain fall.
They braved the thermal pools, while I played Scrabble Apple.
Zok was very nice about being a Derby Widow for so many days.
Of course he has Croquet tournaments on both Thursday and Friday.

No comments: