Monday, August 2, 2010

"...I'm finshed with the fashions, and acting like I'm tough, I'm bored with hate and passion, I've had enough with..."






After the semi-finals between Ballarat's team 'The Rat Pack' and Geelong's team 'The Psychotics' a lot of us went to have dinner. Geelong establishments are very accommodating, they run one bill and then it is all honor system. When you want to leave you walk up, tell them what you had, pay and they tick those items off. It is all very casual.
If small digital photo apparatuses have a drawback, I would say trying to take long distance candid shots of people who move is definitely high on the drawback list.
I didn't skate a lot in this game, so I don't have any glory stories. I will say that although I am always completely ready to do as told, sitting off is psychologically challenging. When the change over is constant, each jam feels like a 'do-over', with no time to mull over ones mistakes. The tension of the game dictating whether or not the final would be all Geelong or Geelong vs. Ballarat seemed high to me, although as far as the bout is concerned there would be advantages to either team winning. Ballarat is near enough that their fan base would come with them. Of course Geelong as a city might rally harder behind an all Geelong final. Geelong is a big sports town, and Roller Derby is having to fight to be included in 'sport'.
In the end, a Geelong final is what is occurring and soon, August 15th.
I am not going, tickets last minute are high, and I feel my skating skill has deteriorated. Geelong is training harder and more seriously and as CCR is growing, there is still an inconsistent and multi-leveled mix that does not challenge me, well does not challenge me on a skating level at least.
Still, I skated in two seasons for Geelong, all a very happy accident.
I have learned so much, and although I don't have anyone to share my knowledge with, it has been a fun ride.
Oddly, it turns out that I am really interested in strategy. I'd love to be able to direct skaters in different plays and see how those plays work. I have dreams partly inspired by A state of mind, a film (recommended by the incomparable Betty Bamalam) about the North Korean Mass Games, in my dream I have control of two teams of skaters willing and able to run any play I think up.
Only a month until Zok comes back to the island.
Plans will be talked over while sitting on the beach rocks.
Decisions will be made.
Things will be righted in my world.

No comments: