Friday, July 30, 2010

"...waves of alternatives wash at my sleepiness..."





Saff took me to see a showing of Alfred Hitchcocock's movie Psycho in the Regent Theatre, one of the historic theatres that Melbourne boasts. The dialog from the movie came out of speakers that brought to mind watching movies in a gravel parking lot.
This was because the Melbourne orchestra was performing the score of the movie live. The movie is having its fiftieth anniversary. I found myself having to remember the orchestra was there, and in a way that is example of how good the score for the movie and the orchestra both were.
I always appreciate silence in a movie, and often I find contemporary music a bad choice unless the music is meant to set a time period.
Saff treated me to this event, and the prices seemed quite high to me, but then there are a lot of people in an orchestra, I assumed the print of the movie would not be digital and require more equipment than a laptop to run, and other logistical problems. However, both the location and price led me to expect a well behaved cinema crowd, which I am beginning to believe only live in the wonderland of my imagination.
A high priced ticket, historic setting, and men and women wearing fancy dress do not ensure that the audience will not eat loud, nasty smelling foods, stay off their mobile phones, make out loudly, or laugh in anticipatory way before important scenes. I mean, honestly, what if people didn't know yet about MOTHER?

Saff and I also went to see an exhibit on, about, for, from, Tim Burton.
The exhibit was really crowded, we were there on a weekend day.
Still we managed to watch most of the short videos which were funny. I couldn't get to all the information signs, but some were obviously shorts he had made himself, one seemed to be a sort of Disney/Paul Reubens era re-imagining of 'Hansel and Gretel', and a funny one called 'Vincent' with Vincent Price. I especially liked a short called 'Luau' which has Tim Burton as 'Mortie or the supreme being'. There was a sort of time line of artifacts showing his work progress, from his bedroom through to his successful career. There were props and costumes, and artistic interpretations of his style.
I hated the audio tour, which I downloaded for free via my Iphone, the commentary was this boring, dry, droning quasi-academic drivel.

I find Melbourne confusing as a city, there is usually something to go see, especially if you aren't afraid to empty your wallet. But for roaming, I group this city on the level of Los Angeles as opposed to San Francisco or Stockholm where many a free and interesting day can be had just exploring.
Like Los Angeles, Melbourne sprawls, and one always feels that they are one block away from something cool and interesting but that there is a secret involved. Without an 'in' you are forever the tourist. Even though I lived there, and am often with people who lived there, eating is always a problem. There are tons and tons of places to eat but many offer close to the same food choices. Places close down, or move, or have hours only an oracle could understand. I believe one has to live right in the heart of the city and constantly work to learn its language.



1 comment:

Pip said...

You'll have to visit Melbourne with me one day - it's my second home. x