Friday, July 2, 2010

A Grave Update




I do my best to work against my disabilities, such as not knowing my left from right, and having no sense of direction. Australia defeats me regularly though, as people here do not use the numbers of the highways, they don't even know them. Most highways become 'High St', many streets have the same names without any differentiation except area or postal code. Street signs are either non existent or they are small and hard to see, especially in the early darkness that falls each winter day. I spent many hours lost.
At the end of a day, where many times I righted myself, and indeed my errands were accomplished, but I was tired-so tired that the very last time I got lost I had to call a friend. She took a cab to my location and drove us the hour plus back to Geelong.


I bought supplies to clean and headstone and grave before we all gathered with the priests for forty-days. I put in small battery operated lights but in the day light they were anti-climatic. The photo of Zok's Mom is from before I knew her and I don't recognize her. The work to change the headstone should happen now. That might be finished by the time I go back next month.
This grave goes against tradition, the stone is engraved with a Bob Marley cover, the stone is black. I have thought a lot about this grave which is on the end of the row to which the Malceski's are buried. This grave is my personal row marker. Perhaps because the occupant died so young the family decided there were no traditions to break-the traditions were shattered when they outlived their child. Of course I am speculating, but I find my thoughts need to be anchored when caught in this row, time and time again.
The cemetery is never empty, at least not in our section where mourning is a full time occupation.

No comments: