Sunday, June 20, 2010

"...held together with footsteps she outgrew...but now she sits alone...everyone's long gone...





*images borrowed from http://www.screenmachine.co.uk/

Sometimes when I feel too full of envy, too full of believing that another place is better just because I haven't yet been there, I walk out to a place I can see from my window. I walk to the furthest bit of rock I can scrabble along to get as far into the ocean as I am able without a commitment.
Then I turn back, facing towards my home and where I sat staring at where I am now-so I can ask myself "Do you feel any different?".
Lately my envy stems from imagining myself on a small Scottish island, where after I've had a pint of real ale, room temperature, I saunter out to see a film, in the back of a semitrailer.
'The Film Programme' (Did I learn anything from my first Trimester of that Masters program?-well I was told that all titles of publications should be put into italics.)-If you listen to my idle chatter, you will not be surprised that this is a podcast from BBC4. I listen every week, they interview and review not just new movies, but ask directors and others for their pick of movies on dvd. They also talk about films that have been saved or recovered to be newly released. I quite often find a film I've overlooked this way.
I find quite a lot of new films dull, especially since this latest recession which seems to have brought on a glut of studio organized sequels, (or worse a third movie in a series that is not an actual trilogy), or re-make of a film that did not need to be updated with music tracks by the current winner of some reality show.
More importantly this show is dedicated not just to the craft of film making but to cinema. Lately they have been researching how people in lesser populated areas get to see films. This information has changed my feeling about digital cinema. Digital - that word part 'wow soon we'll have the transporter from Star Trek' part shrinking...condensing...as music went digital, much got lost, loss of warmth, tones and sounds. Also there is a sort of flattening of talent, one can have less talent now and get away with making movies and music. However, digital allows a project like 'The Screen Machine' to exist, and for other small, local cinemas to be able to get first run movies and make money. Money is key to doing other cooler projects.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00sk7rt

I love a back lash, and this type of project-is about people gathering together, when many traditional places are being lost to modern technology.

2 comments:

amra said...

just saw I Am Love and loved it. I think you would too.

Saff said...

That cinema is an amazing idea, and a way to encourage people to watch things that aren't just the new shiny release at the video store.

I think we should build one and tour Australia in it.