Thursday, May 27, 2010

"...will I take my rest, among the blessed..."

I have been in some other world, steeped in traditions that few can agree on any longer.
 I have lit many candles and been kissed by hundreds of faces, some familiar and some strange.

I have made hundreds of coffees cooked in a gezva, and washed up after them all.  I have eaten breakfast graveside, and made and given food to the dead. 
I have been moved by the chanting of monks and priests.
I have been moved by the endless tears rolling down the faces of so many.
I have been observing, I have been following rules that are meaningless to me and practicing the art of holding my peace.
I have been soaked by rain, and made uncomfortably warm by the sun.
I am fueled by rakia and the knowledge that there is another world outside of this one.
 

2 comments:

Monte Means said...

Really beautiful, Colleen - and I love the photos.

amra said...

incredible. beautiful. xo