Friday, May 7, 2010

"Piece of my heart"

I have caused some trouble with the new pie book I bought Zok for Easter.  Before this book, he had been making his pies on trial and error.
This book (titled: Homestyle Pies and Tarts), which looks so pretty with its glossy photos, is badly written with vague instructions.  The reason I bought it was so Zok could try his hand at pies that he was unfamiliar with,  like this strawberry mascarpone.  This pie was very tasty, although I could almost see the calories, but I am always swayed by a boozy fruit, and these strawberries were marinated in vintage scotch whiskey and spices.
The lemon meringue was good fun, however, we went with the book instructions even though we talked over how we thought the baking instructions couldn't be correct, and the pie didn't set.
The small leftovers we had, became small tart sized pies, and those were nice, except that Zok only liked the top of the pie, and I thought that the meringue was too much, and I only ate the lemon base.
Even with the mishap, I have to state that on the scale of the good and bad of the last few days, Pie is definitely on the good end.
I love how Zok actually uses all his pie dishes, he favors one over the others for a week or so, but never settles.
Zok leaves in less than a week, and I leave in less than two.
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks even better than the picture!! yum, H.

brandi said...

that is some good looking pie!