Friday, March 19, 2010

"Too much sun can make you blind"


Surely there is nothing I can say about the artists that die, that isn't being printed somewhere else with the immediacy of technology by persons with greater gifts of expression than I.
Here is the aspect about blogging that I think is important to more than just myself. Many people connected by technology around the world are also as isolated from their peer group as I am. I am grateful to be able to spew out thoughts that would otherwise just take up concentration that I can't spare.

Alex Chilton's music was introduced to me by my father, like so much of the music that came out when I was too small to find music on my own.
Pop music is a step-child of the music industry. Many artists capable of making true pop tunes were not commercially successful. Many did better through some sort of brokering, such as other artists already famous covering their songs, soundtrack work, or (heaven forbid) advertising appropriating their music.

Underrated music though has always been a bonding point. Someone you just met puts a 'Big Star' track on a mixed tape and through this your friendship is decided.
Of course Alex Chilton through his many years put out more than pop music. I have just known many, many bands who tried to write a great pop tune and failed. Writing a great pop tune is deceptively hard. It is about working with very few tools, to try and do something unique. Alex Chilton was able to do this remarkable alchemy.