Tuesday, February 9, 2010

"...a sense of something fleeting and harmonic, longed for and repeated..."



How did a week at home pass by so quickly?
The world without me just continues on; the garden grows, dust collects as the mail becomes a heaped pile, and besides all that-the sun is out and the days so warm that I never have to put on shoes.
No shoes is my equivalent of being sick and not getting dressed, I gaze at the beach yet decide to lay on the grass in my yard and dream or read.
More than that has actually happened but I like this scenario so I'll stay with it.

I found a new honesty box, or honor box, or by Australian spelling honour box. Surely they have these in America, but I don't know of any. I know about places such as 'Terra Bite' in Kirkland (the Microsoft dominated suburb of Seattle) a nice cafe that has no payment system other than a box for patrons to pay as they choose.
These sort of roadside stalls, (although often located in a more remote place as this one is, on a side street, a cul-de-sac even) are common in Tasmania. I actually depend on them during road trips for my snack supplies.
People sell vegetables, or fruit from their gardens, and more aspiring people put up home made items such as jams, or plants they've divided from their gardens. I like to think that many a stall is a project of some pre-teen, where they make their spending money.
I won't go on about the difficulties of Australian soil, but buying plants that have done so well that they needed to be divided is not just a bargain, it is damn smart.
From this honesty stall, I got a huge quantity of mint (read mint julep), and about forty flower bulbs for four dollars.
This is something I love about Tasmania, and home.

No comments: