Sunday, January 10, 2010

"Look Lorax," I said, "There's no cause for alarm. I chopped just one tree, I am doing no harm."






Zok is not amused that I think Rotorua looks like Sacramento, California, but trust me that the township does indeed look and feel like Sacramento...

Indeed there is a redwood forest within the city limits. The two types of redwood are all that flourished from the many types of hardwood transplanted here to see if any would grow. The two hardwoods are the ones that survived, they are the young siblings of the Californian giants. Planted in 1899, many now stand quite large, but small in comparison, if, indeed you had the reference to compare them.

Rotorua is known for the continued volcanic activity, thermal pools and volcanic mud.
There are puffs of steam at every turn. We did soak in some mud and a thermally heated sulpher pool.

The N.Z. is wise to the way of the traveler and the internet is not free...
Tomorrow we head out even further North, here on the North island, and I may be without a connection until we get to Auckland.

Tomorrow, Hobbiton (which is apparently now being transformed for the next movie, The Hobbit).
I am in doubt that much will be done yet, but I do love a movie location...



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh - so there you are! well have fun in NZ and I wont ring to see if you are going to the beach sometime soon.

Andy