Wednesday, January 13, 2010

"...for they loved peace and quiet and good tilled earth..."






I went on a face book date! I don't mean to say that I went internet dating, I mean I met up with an old friend who I have not seen in over a decade.
For the younger generation this might seem implausible that friends could lose contact, but before email, before socializing networks, and the rampant use of cell phones, and skype phones, people were pretty easy to lose.

John and I met in Seattle, he is a musician and I had a crush on his music.
When I found out he was a good guy so much the better!
He is marrying into a great family, and their set up is admirable, with some similarities to my own so I felt a bit of kinship, indeed by the end of our visit I felt as if I had new neighbors.
The North Island of New Zealand isn't exactly local, but still this is the feeling I left with.

Zok and I got to take a spectacular drive to their place. We stopped at a funny roadside place on the way back, and the scenery was finally what my minds eye had envisioned New Zealand to be.
John and I having common ground, gave me the chance to have a conversation were I felt understood, and completely normal in my thought process.
I do believe as the two of us talked about our adventures of home owning in the southern hemisphere, that both our partners were rolling their eyes slightly but they are from this hemisphere so that is expected.

Also John has gone through many a process in the music industry, and although he seems mostly unscathed, I believe he had similar heartbreaks.
Working in the industry, can be a great job on many levels, but for those of us who went in with ideals about this world, the place is just plain hazardous.
Today Zok is starting work, so we are making our way to Auckland, which so far I have only driven by, the place is really large considering how quickly one transitions to small towns and open land.



1 comment:

brandi said...

i love reading your stories. such a pretty moral too. is that a john O all grown up?