Saturday, December 5, 2009

Lava smoke blackening out the stars






Zok and I spent the day going from beach spot to beach spot, the best of the lot being a large thermal pool in front of the ocean heated by thermal energy coming from the active volcano.
We haven't been in a thermal pool since our last trip to Iceland and I wanted to stay in for hours.

After dark we drove to see the lava flowing, only to be disappointed by high winds blowing into the viewing site so the park was closed.
I looked up to the sky for the big dipper (which due to poor viewing nights I actually haven't gotten to see) and most of the horizon was blacked out by a huge black cloud formation. Eerie but beautiful.

Today rain is pouring down, but we are going to forge ahead to the park to see the active Volcano.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again; where is Zok's hawaiian shirt?

Monte Means said...

I love the picture of the tree! By the way, are you Flipping?

Colleen said...

Zok declined the Hawainn shirt, I bought fabric to make myself a dress, classic red with white hibiscus flowers