Monday, December 28, 2009

The day after the day after Christmas





Truthfully summer in Tasmania is a very subtle sensation-
when I wake up I am not cold, I can wander around the house and yard with my feet uncovered. I do not have to light a fire.
I can not leave the house without a sweater or shawl. If I think that the day is warm and I can sit on the porch, reading and letting the sun work its way though the sunblock, I may well be let down by a sudden cold wind, or a cloud formation covering the sun.
I have a house guest who also likes to read, and we have been chased from the yard to the porch and back into the house again by these continuing changes of weather.
I recall Californian summers to be three solid months of blue skies and high temperatures, I remember Washington summers to be a least a month in length, Tasmania is too crafty to be so easily defined.

1 comment:

Monte Means said...

Lovely! Why is it that, to me, SoCal summers seem to be six months in length? Too hot and too long. I'm reminded that this time last year we were making preparations for our visit to Tasmania. Ugh, miss you!