Thursday, November 5, 2009

"Snowflake Music"






I take it all back, every ill natured thought I had, every semi-veiled comment I might have said out loud about double winter.
Why?
Because it has started to SNOW!
Okay, sure yesterday the flakes were teeny, teeny, tiny flakes, but there was no other word to describe them as they softly floated thorough the air.
There was no denying their existence as they hit a person's coat and sat there unabashed, gleaming and white. I was walking around, smiling like a fool, as many a person glared at me.
Again, today there is snow, big, fat, wet flakes, and although you might be able to accuse them of being more like sleet, or put an adjective in front of the word 'snow' still the word 'snow' will be part of the descriptive sentence.

Also, I have found a couple of new pubs, well the pubs aren't new just my love for them.
There are many micro-brews on tap now, some even coming from Sweden, like the tasty smoked porter I had, made by Nils Olssen. I also got to try the micro-brew from Brooklyn which I have only heard about on a podcast from 'New Yorker Out Loud'. The 'Bishop Arms' is a bit drafty but it is located on one of my favorite streets called 'Bellmans' Road', the road end with a Spire, made of some black metal, then there is a cliff side walk that begins at the end of the stairs.
Beer is precious here, micro-brews cost more of course, but there is an added tax based on alcohol content. My porter was 8.5% and therefore I wasn't allowed a whole pint, and the cost was 64 kr, for 400 mls, or about $11. AU (or US at todays exchange) for about a half pint!
But who cares for such trifles when one is gazing out at snowflakes...


1 comment:

brandi said...

yeah! snow angels soon i hope!?! and wow, lets hope the beer tenders get paid more too for having to figure out the percentage every time. weird. i hope you are staying warm.