Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Fruits that come all the way from Asia




Mostly I hate grocery stores.
Especially when I get used to them, but even as I type that statement, I have to admit that I miss the ones in America, or I miss the items that I took for granted, for example having so many cereal choices, I might not actually have bought Captain Crunch with Crunchberries more than once a year, but I did like knowing that I could buy a box if I wanted them. I also find it laughable that import food stores both in here and Australia stock Pop-tarts and Grapenuts at triple the price.
I guess I dislike the monotony of shopping for food, because currently I don't hate going to the store here (each day), and I am excited at the prospect of going to an American grocery store.
I find Swedish grocery stores confusing, and almost all of the produce comes from very far away. The fruit is mostly wrapped in plastic so that you can't be very picky in your selection. Of course it is very pricey as well. There is an open air market that is much better despite the fact that each stall owner is hawking you like they work at a carnival main way. I don't mind being shouted at when I can get pomegranates and strawberries that are better looking and half the price. I am remembering fondly the great produce we have in Tasmania, and the fact that come January the cherries will be ripe and cheap for eating.
But as with all things, there are aspects of the grocery stores here that I like. There are a lot of bulk choices, and the yogurt is amazing with more choices than I would have thought possible. Most items comes very small, so the commitment is less and I love that.
In Tasmania bags are being fazed out, which has brought in a new problem of people like myself having way to many 'permanent' bags, because each time the bag is forgotten a new one has to be purchased. Here, for as long as I have been coming here, each plastic bag cost 5kr or about one Australian dollar.
Speaking of small, I love the small trolley.

2 comments:

brandi said...

i absolutely love the trolley photo (that is the trolley, right!?!)

Colleen said...

So simple, adding wheels and a handle to the normal basket, and they still fit together in a compact manner.