Thursday, October 29, 2009

"Hong Kong garden takeaway"







I did not understand how everyone did not carry a nice parasol to keep the harsh sun off their heads.
I seemed to be the only one.
I did not understand why we had to leave the shade of the parks, where people en mass were practicing Tai-chi, where many interesting birds could be seen, as well as fancy butterflies where constantly going by, and the city seemed far away instead of just beyond the tree line.

As with all really humid and hot places, I enjoyed the night best.

There were many small children taking themselves to school on the subway, which reminded me of New York, a lot reminded me of New York, I suppose this is my largest city to reference. Also I thought that the Asian tourists we saw were not unlike the Americans that go to New York, to marvel at the vastness and to of course; shop.

I think that I would have to visit Hong Kong several times, in short stays to feel as if I had seen any of the city.
All I can think of is the many, many side streets I must have missed, plus Zok walks quickly whereas I always want to sit on a bench and really take a look.
I had a nice birthday, although I feel very old.

2 comments:

Jennifer Gallucci said...

Happy Birthday Colleen!
It's still your birthday here. Your presents made it in the mail on your birthday at least. Although I wanted them to be there when you arrived. I can't wait to see photos of Sweden. Try to remember what a bad ass woman you are these days. You're so not old! Love you.
Jenn

Elissa said...

Only because it's your birthday will I let you get away with that kind of trash, Colleen. Any other day, the fact that I love you disallows me from tolerating your age delusions.

Birthday wishes busting their wings to reach to you. I will bake some lamingtons in your absence.

xo