Sunday, September 13, 2009

"And she's clinging to the nearest passer by, She's lost control. And she gave away the secrets of her past,"






Long weekend!
I would love to write expressively about the bout, however, honestly, most of the game itself is a blur. I can remember thinking such things as "Wow that was fun!" or "I wish I could skate faster." or "Dang I can't believe that same hard hitting blocker is lined up next to me, AGAIN."
I know that I made a lot of mistakes and I plan to do better. I know that sometimes I would actually execute a block and then be overwhelmed with happiness long enough that my focus was lost and the next moment, I would get blocked and my body was then careening into the out of bounds area.

I got to 'jam' i.e. skate as the point scorer, and I must not have been really looking when I did my first pass because as I came around I saw, only two opposing blockers, and no jammer, and I thought "Lucky!", followed by "I wish I could skate faster!".
The hour really went by very quickly, and I didn't skate in that many jams, I was in every other, and sometimes not until a third jam, which suited my inexperience. Not that I have been slacking off there has been a lot of skating happening.
Beyond the skating I have already mentioned we also spent one day skating out, in front of, and around the museum in Melbourne. This area is used by the Victoria league, and has some great smooth concrete.
We skated inside a glorious, heated, real roller rink that reminded me of skating rinks from California. Today we had 'moustache' scrimmage, which comprised male skaters, most of whom work very hard, as referees here in Victoria, and other Geelong/Melbourne female skaters. This session was to help along the male skating league that will surely take Derby by storm. Friday before the bout we had suicide drills and endurance.
Tuesday is (!) blocking practice which I am sorely in need of.
I will say that today I am both exhausted and quite bruised.
The dedication and enthusiasm over here is just great. I feel invigorated, and very much as if I am just in a dream that will soon end.


2 comments:

Monte Means said...

love the photo with the colorful blocks behind the two skaters. you must be in amazing, shape, sookie. not sure i'll be able to keep up with you on our next hike...

Colleen said...

That would be Ms. Bamalam & Ref Fink in both shots.