Wednesday, July 8, 2009

"That Friday made the last of our fine days for a month."






I have come to think that appreciating nature has to have the inclusion of appreciating a landscape in all its differing aspects, and seasons.
When I was younger I really was the girl who would drive (spontaneously, usually after working at a club, so about 3 a.m.) to the Grand Canyon, drive up to the edge, look over and exclaim 'Beautiful'! and then go to breakfast.
Later, I became the girl who would ride a mule to the bottom and stay at Phantom Ranch, now, I think I could walk most of the way, and camp.
I do not grow tired of visiting the nature reserves, and parks here in Tasmania. They are ever changing and never disappointing. Okay, well to be honest I would not mind if the platypus would keep to a schedule so I could see him whenever I wanted but perhaps he knows that I will come all the more often, because seeing him is always a surprise.
The sun is bright but the air is cold. The skating rink is even colder than the outside world, and I doubt my nose will stop running until spring arrives.
Tasmanians seem to get a bit flaky this time of year, and our skating numbers are down. I am devising plans for myself though, as there is more than one way to achieve a goal. (I have to admit that most of us here on the island have wood burning fireplaces, or the more efficient fire box, as our only heating source, so one does have to combat the pull of the fire, and the dark of the night (5 p.m.), to go out).
Zok of course does not feel he is missing out on anything when there is snow. He has spent too much time over these last years in Sweden to be impressed by our short snow falls. He does however miss running a fire 24-7, which I do not do, I am stingy with the wood, mostly because new wood delivered means horrendously large, furry, spiders.
Soon I will have to decide if I want to face that fear or freeze to death overnight like the little matchstick girl...


2 comments:

amra said...

oh no. i remember the trials of the garage spiders. cute white center hat in the snow.

Hazel said...

Where did you find the snow Colleen, did you go up the mountain? Hazel