Friday, July 31, 2009

Like Kind Women-Alike while liking the Queen





Yesterday I went to get my citizenship papers.
I am not fond of ceremonies, especially because there is never a guide.
An outline, a tour book page, a run down of the schedule. I am happier when I know what is going to be expected of me. I like instructions such as; 'Parking behind the building in the two hour lot, as the ceremony should take approximately no more than two hours, but not less than one hour'.
I like to know what to wear, and if I should eat before arriving. I want to know if I can take photos or if my purse will be searched.
So you see, instruction-less I went with a bit of trepidation.
Although Derby pulled through, I tried to hide away, to just pop over to the Mayors office on my own (the Mayor here is the Mayor of Kingborough, which is a big part but not all of Hobart)-but Emma aka Dirty Cheetah, and Eloise aka Eliza Hornberry descended upon my house with both cake and fanfare.
Emma went with me to the ceremony (she of course knew all about the Mayor who was a practicing Pediatrician before becoming a Mayor) and after work Eloise came over and we ate too much, and there were joke presents all around. The cake apparently is quite important, many an Australian woman has made or broken her reputation upon the making of this cake.
But don't think us backward living here, the cake came from a shop.
I had been joking (to anyone that would listen) that I expected to be given the baby native animal of my choice, this alas was not true, but they did give me a nice native plant. Perhaps Australia does already know me well...
Does anyone notice a theme regarding the people who were all given papers yesterday?

3 comments:

Nina said...

Congratulations!!! Very exciting news.

What was the native plant they gave you?

Colleen said...

A Correa, which I have to admit I already have in my garden-but my husband loves that plant to another will be a nice addition.

Anonymous said...

All women? Well done you. You look as pleased as punch and so you should! If there was a card for such a day; it would be on it's way to you right now!
love you,
xox