Wednesday, July 1, 2009

"Daisy, Daisy, Give me your answer do"




The Hobart Theatre Royal is going to be 175 this year. Tasmania as a state, boasts many firsts for Australia; first Pub, first neon-lit building, and this the first (and still running) theatre. The theatre is rarely mentioned without the comment that Laurence Olivier did once perform on this stage, now I suppose that would normally only impress theater folk, but I love, love, love Vivien Leigh and therefore I love Laurence and am indeed impressed with this fact. I don't know the details, because I have made up my own, and they involve Vivien looking out on some of same views I now look at.
I have seen about five shows here (Zok has seen the one that feature Latrina our Roller Derby coach). I love this theatre, as was stated during this recent night, the building itself is almost a character. There are stalls on the top level, wood benches, which I have only heard described in old Victorian literature. This night was called "A Naughty NIght of Nostalgia", and featured local performers. Including a young boy who apparently went to the elementary school up the block, who is in 'Billy Elliot' which is being performed on stage on the mainland. He choose to sing 'Ben' by Michael Jackson, which honesty made my eyes well up.
I was invited to this shindig by my lovely neighbor Sue, and I got to meet her equally charming mother; Norma. (Here comes the Tasmanian small town bit) Norma's second husband was a producer of plays, so many of the people there were old friends. When we were up on the stage having champagne, and mingling, Norma would introduce Sue, only to have that person after a minute say, 'Did you have children at such and such school?', and then Sue would say 'Oh your so and so's Mom!', or my favorite was when I was introduced to Sue's son's kindergarten teacher (he is 34 or so now).
My favorite historic fact was that the founder of the (still working) Cascade Brewery helped start the theatre, and the brewery still supports the theatre.
That is amazing.
Lastly I have to comment that during the crush of the night, I noticed that some elder people, like to use their canes to get through a crowd. Quite vicious actually...
My favorite part was that I got to wear my funny, furry hat. I had to partially ignore the sing-along which apparently is as common as beer to an Australian night out, as there was much, much singing at Aumas as well.
I can not sing. People never believe that, yet when they force me to join in, they start yelling 'you are flat!'. Honestly. Zok normally protects me from such behavior, but he isn't here.


3 comments:

Nina said...

I love your hat!

brandi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
brandi said...

so much fun. giggles all throughout this post. thanks!

p.s. can't you just mouth the words like i used to do when pressured into the "singing" thing? i like that approach. they can try to invade your personal space to hear you better, but that rarely happens if you give them a look first.