Sunday, May 17, 2009

Toxic Avengers vs. Dead Ringer Rosies




As many know, I have been skating obsessed. In late March when I went to my first 'fresh meat' roller derby practice I didn't think I would make it past the one night, within a month I had my own skates, and a set of outdoor wheels. I started skating three nights a week (due to my passing the beginning skill set put forth by the Women's Flat Track Derby Association), and also skating outside each day. Taking time off (due to a small injury) and going to Melbourne was a blow. The time off though was balanced out by Zok extending our trip by one night so that we could attend the second bout of the third season for the Victorian Derby League. Latrina who coaches our fledgling Tasmanian team skated for the V.D.L, and I think she is on sabbatical here in Hobart working on a play called 'the falling room & the flying room' which will be performed at The Theatre Royal June 10th and June 11th here in Hobart.
I thought there would be maybe a hundred people, I think I had that impression because of the fact that the bout was in an outer suburb (actually about ten minutes from where Zok grew up), and because the general sentiment is that Australia has such a low population, that many 'crazes' don't catch on. Well, Zok and I both estimated the crowd to be close to five hundred people. People in grandstands, outside the rink and on the rink. There was merchandise, half time entertainment, girls hawking items as well as food and drinks, and a concession stand with of course, cheap beer. Many of the audience seemed to be regulars who had pillows, coolers, and blankets. Zok took some photos and video, I was too engaged trying to unsuccessfully hear the referees, and watch all the action. The Toxic Avengers won (girls in yellow), they had a player 'Kittie Von Krusher' who was tall, fast, and unafraid to plow through the pack and/or take a hit. Many of the girls were good, I don't mean to single any one out but her presence was pretty attention grabbing.
I think that Zok is poised to be a coach, as all his comments centered around what he thought could have been better. He was surprised by the amount in attendance, and of course had both the door and merchandise calculated in his head as well as ideas for better security and sound system. Hopefully he will be as enthused to pitch in when the Convict City Roller Girls are ready to go. For myself, I find it hard to imagine myself actually competing.
For those of you that want to know more, look here:
http://www.wftda.com/

No comments: