Saturday, May 9, 2009

"...Honey Pie you making crazy, I'm in love but I'm lazy...'






Is the season still autumn? Yesterday brought weather that could be described as summer and today, well today would be winter. I guess autumn is being left out. A neighbor was kind enough (or mad enough if she had any insight on Zok's latest obsession) to give us pears from her garden. I must say that I was completely wrong about the pears, they looked sad, small, and a bit well dare I say ugly. So imagine my surprise when I tasted one, and declared the ugly little thing-a taste of perfection. Suddenly I wanted to hide them all from Zok and the inevitability of becoming...pie. Why add sugar and spices to something so pure?, so tasty?.
Perhaps the pears felt as I do because they did their best to give the baker trouble. They became so juicy while in the oven that there was a bit of a pie collapse. However, as with my first impression, although they looked a bit ugly they were very, very tasty.
Other than pie, Zok has been making English style scones, for various social events. The end of class here involves 'bringing a plate', as does our annual Croquet meeting, so scones and fresh jam is our contribution.
Upon a random invitation we also experienced the local chain cinemas' version of 'Gold Class', Zok has been curious and I have been wary. But the invitation was a good excuse to try it out. The theater has about thirty seats, which had been completely booked out by our local sci-fi/comic shop. Apparently they often all get together for the first night of certain movies. This made the experience much nicer than if we had just gone on our own.
The screen was large by Australian standards but nothing like an American cinerama. The seats were a cross between a lazy-boy chair and a first class airplane seat. Any snack item can be pre-ordered for exactly when you want that item to arrive for example, half way through the movie. There is also a 'call button' for sudden or forgotten urges. For me the ticket price was spent to be in a room full of like minded people who neither shuffled, spoke, or forgot to turn off their cell phones. I of course am more fond of a off beat cinema, the type I have described in other posts, that random sort of dollar theater with busted seats salvaged from some forgotten venue, or couches and chairs set up higgledy-piggledy. I have to hope that this type of theater will always be found on a side street as with the one we found in Croatia. The gold class marketing ploy seems some way of the future, which was fitting as we were watching a modernization of classic Star Trek. Part of me felt ashamed to like this new version, as if I am turning my back on all things of the past I still enjoy, rotory phones, black and white prints, mechanics that do not involve any computerized parts. As long as I can find both-well then I guess I should take heed of the lesson I learned with the pears.

No comments: