Tuesday, April 7, 2009

What qualifications does this Easter Bilby have?






My first experience with Easter in Australia was years ago, when I was staying in Melbourne-without Zok-before we moved down to Tasmania. I got a job (! gee remember me a girl who worked?) through a friend of Zok's and I had all the nerves that go along with a new situation. I had to find my way, get parking, dress like some form of a grown up person, interact with strangers, avoid the free cookies in the break room, well you get the idea. After I got through the interview and did all my paperwork (this was a real bona fide office), I worked a couple of days, I was feeling pretty good, and then I was told 'Oh don't come back until Wednesday week'. The statement held much confusion for me, firstly 'Wednesday week' that means not this Wednesday but next Wednesday, which I suppose does have the benefit on no one having to say 'Not this Wednesday but next Wednesday'.
Secondly, I couldn't figure out what holiday was occurring, but then I found that it was Easter. Which here, at the very least, includes the Friday before and the Monday after, but commonly also the following Tuesday. For example, my sewing class in on a Tuesday and therefore next week we do not have class. This goes the same for post, and the library. Many, many places are closed. I still get the feeling that I am stocking up for a power outage or some natural disaster, I think things such as 'What if there is a run on milk?', 'What will I do without mail for sooooooooo many days, I still get upset that there is no Saturday delivery'. I fill up the tank with gas (or petrol to be AU). I buy extra bread, I check out at least one more book than I could possibly read.
Then there is the Easter Bilby.
Okay, in defense of Australia, rabbits are considered a pest, that whole scheme to introduce them to eat whatever they were meant to eat went badly, and I have heard stories of wide stretches of land literally covered with rabbits. Also there is a trend towards 'local' only, which I like and agree with, because we all know that in the films where the world gets devastated by war/bio-warfare/aliens/natural disaster well of course Australia is if not the only survivor of fall out at least the place that holds out longest. Therefore, I like to know that even if I was cut off by radiation to the rest of the world, I could still get my coffee and honey to sweeten it with.
But is this Easter Bilby trust worthy? What sort of work ethic does it have?
Will it just scatter eggs higgledy-piggledy? I don't think that the bilby has any songs written about it, so obviously the publicist should at the very least be put on warning. Worse do the millions of feral rabbits know that the Bilbys took their jobs? That could get ugly.
Lastly, and the cap to my confusion, is 'Oh snow on the mountain, it must be Easter'. Let me just haul up some wood for the porch as opposed to go out on nightly trips to steal the lilacs from tree that are in bloom...
Oh, and I had to bury a possum by the grevillea near the magnolia tree, and that just is NOT Easter-y.


*Top two photos borrowed from Google Images.

1 comment:

Monte Means said...

Holy crap this made me laugh! You're giving the guy at FU, Penguin a run for his money on this one.