Thursday, April 2, 2009

"protected for the night against the dangers of idleness"






I continue on, tired and busy. I made a poor showing at Roller Derby-we were meant to slide under a limbo poll, sort of baseball style as if sliding into a base. However I think my brain stops my body from really going in for the slide and I was always a bit short. I was in bed early due to derby, I am missing some warm, clear nights which are excellent for star gazing.
Today I was up early for a chance of a new walk, this beach trail is a bit out of the way, a twenty minute drive. There is an interesting cave that I might try to climb down too when my legs are not feeling so strained. I learned a couple things, that the native (Aboriginal) names for Mt. Wellington were; Unghanyahletta, Pooraneter, and Kunanyi.
Not that I could ever pronounce them to sprinkle this information casually into a conversation. This site is called Coningham. There were a lot of oysters, just piled on rocks and onto each other, there were patterns everywhere in the sand made by some creature underneath but neither of us knew what made them. Here in Tasmania, starfish are considered not just a pest but a menace but I am fond of them.

2 comments:

Monte Means said...

I love these pictures. When will you and Zok have a boat house? :-)
Why is that cute starfish a menace?

Colleen said...

Well you know how if you cut off an arm of the starfish, a whole new starfish grows? So they are like a weed of the sea. Or perhaps pigeon or rat is a better analogy. They push out other species and I read that they eat coral so they are attributed to the erosion of the great barrier reef. But really I am just repeating what I have heard from living here so...