Thursday, March 5, 2009

Like Betty & Veronica



The rain continues, although again the temperature is in the 60s, we slept in since Zok couldn't go to his flying lesson and of course he is tired from just coming off of tour.
Zok and I drove out to the jar store, a small store in an industrial area of Moonah. The store is really corny, with dusty fake plants, faded samples, and a general air of lassitude. We bought more canning supplies and I finally got my book on home preserving from the library (I was third in the queue and had to wait about a month to get my turn). The book and a small amount of web page perusing has taken the joy from me. My head is now confounded with the perils of potential toxicity. We are only dabbling, by this I mean we are making jams, compotes, and other fruit based items all sealed using boiling water on the stove top. Fruits have high acid naturally which are less apt to spoil, and to spoil with any level of toxicity. But, honestly, the measures listed to getting rid of a spoiled jar of food includes bleach, rubber gloves, going to a land fill, on and on. That reality is very far from the dance party I have been having in my kitchen while I simmer huge pans of tasty nectarines.
Oh, and on the subject of nectarines I can not believe that nectarines are a 'fuzzless peach', I am so in love with nectarines and so not into peaches (which Zok is currently making into jam). I even read that nectarine trees tend to be grafted because a nectarine seed can grow into a peach tree. What? I feel the same sense of disbelief I had when I learned that Betty and Veronica were drawn completely the same except for hair color.

2 comments:

Monte Means said...

You crack me up!
Welcome home, Zok!

amra said...

I feel you. I am completely on the same page.