Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Crooked Stitches






My friends are talented, they have creative ideas that actually get realized. When I was surrounded by them, I could glean a little here and there, and add these tidbits into my life making everything more colorful and fun. My life is different now, although I do feel a bit of the Jane Austin sometimes, a slowness, an appreciation for home crafts that were necessary in the early twentieth century. As I pick out yet another crooked seam, I do wonder why I didn't beg for lessons from the people I knew because if I had I wouldn't be forty and in a beginning sewing class. I suppose I spent most of my time working, and I am not great at asking for things. I still reap some benefits in the form of encouraging emails and presents that arrive by mail, presents that mean more to me than I could ever express without falling into the rhetoric of a Hallmark sentiment. This is actually my second time in this class, I didn't finish the course last time due to a family emergency on Zok's side.
So, I showed up prepared, I had my supplies in hand and I arrived early to set up because the teacher's time is divided. Also there is a lot of chatting, which I think for many, is a reason why they attend. I have had friends describe to me the concept of a 'stitch and bitch' and I do get this feeling of tradition seeping in, a feeling of other groups that have come before all gathered over their work and talking about the small matters of their lives. I do enjoy that aspect but I am also determined to finish a simple project, using a pattern, from start to finish. Last time I got sidetracked by a cute, modern sewing project book with instructions I think, meant for someone who already has the fundamentals of sewing down pat.
My other project I thought could be a bag for our scrabble tiles, but as I was imagining what that bag would be like, I remembered that my friend Jenn had sent me something this year that would be perfect (the small envelope style bag pictured above). She has by this lovely, organized, life and home, a home with each object perfectly picked (a bit like Monte & Roberto as well)-she has two children and still I would say about half the clutter that Zok and I have. Beyond all that, she makes lovely sewn and crafted items all the time.
I still aspire ultimately to alter clothes, my friend Mark used to do that for me, he can take apart a dress and put it back together with one arm. I have a memory of my flitting by his place of work, sweeping through, and being handed a pile of perfect clothing, never once curious how the magic happened. Now if money was no object I would buy all his time for a week and have him help me alter the heap of clothing that has amassed at the bottom of my closet.
But there is no use mentally chewing over missed opportunity, I will make my own way. The class I take is in a nice older building, and after class I was walking around the neighborhood and thinking that I haven't done much justice to the actually city of Hobart as I am so focused on the area I can reach by bicycle. The buildings that can be found in Hobart are mostly historic. My class in on Church St. and there is a large building that was a church at one time on the corner. A nearby park which was once a graveyard, although they moved the graveyard a few gravestones remain but with the addition of a playground. Here the sign says that the church was called St. Andrews in the 1800s, but later became the Scots Church, one of the head stones is a memorial to Scottish miners. If I had lived in Hobart when I was younger I would have wanted to live on a block such as Church St. There is a rectory, and a whole street of pretty buildings. So along with my sewing goals I can explore more of the town within walking distance of my classes.

No comments: