Thursday, February 26, 2009

A life without seasons




I love rain, I love the sound of the rain, here that sound is amplifeid as our roof is made of metal. Occasionally, there is a spectacular storm, with lightning brightening the sky for moments at a time, throwing the whole neighborhood into view by backlighting the horizon in a bright, purple, flash.
Many of the storms happen overnight, and selfishly I yearn for more rainy days. I never feel guilt spending a whole day reading if that day is a rainy one.
Yesterday, we had rain most of the day, but most of my day was wasted at the Dentist's. This rain is unseasonable even for here.
I may never get used to the seasons of the Southern Hemisphere. Internally I feel as if either winter or summer could be on the way. I am lost without the markers I am used to relying on, such as leaves turning or shop windows done up for a holiday. I have to look at the calendar constantly to remember what the month is. I have noticed that the days are getting shorter and the milky way is in a different position. The days are not very warm but the nights have been and I have spent some part of each night, in the yard looking into the sky for satellites.
Zok has already gotten in our winter supply of wood. Many houses here are heated by wood burning fireplaces of some sort. Ours is enclosed by glass, so that the whole box can be stuffed full of wood and set to burn for hours and hours. Which is just as well because I am not very good at making fires.
The wood delivery reminds me that winter is approaching, as do the storms yet I feel an internal resistance. A resistance because I will have to make a special trip to see non-native trees with their leaves that turn colors and fall. Because Tasmania had a short summer this year and my tomatoes are only now starting to ripen as are the strawberries. Because I know that March is coming and Easter in my mind a synonym for spring only here spring is autumn. Tulips are blooming in time for Christmas not Easter.
Our short summer also meant that the lawn stayed green, we had no water restrictions, and I never got into the full swing of a beach routine. All that combines to making me feel even less attuned to what time of year I am in. This may be a contribution to my paying more attention to the night sky. I see the constellations move in a predictable way that my surrounding by day; lack. I will also be confused when the pick up in emails, when my friends are blooming amidst their summertime, they become more lively and communicative while I am surrounded by darkness and feeling like the matchstick girl as I hunt for pine cones to light my daily fire. I miss people being around and I am counting the days until Zok returns.


1 comment:

Monte Means said...

I always love your blog entries, but this is one of my favorites in quite some time - though I feel strange saying that, because at the base of it all you're speaking of disorientation and loneliness. I'm just so glad you're writing!

I can testify to how you're feeling about the seasons. After only three weeks in your neck of the woods, I spent the first few weeks back home wondering what month and what season it was.