Friday, February 13, 2009

Cole's Bay Tasmania






Cole's Bay to me, seems to be the place Tasmanian residents go for vacation. I hear a lot of people talk about camping or having some sort of bush shack going towards or nearby Cole's Bay which is on the East Coast of the island. Cole's Bay is also next to Freycinet National Park where Wineglass Bay is located. Cole's Bay was our first destination. Zok and I had been only once before and that time we didn't take the trouble to hike down to the beach or along the Hazards mountains. I am much, much sportier than I used to be. I was the only member of our group not to get sunburnt, and I was feeling pretty smug about that until I noticed that my lips were a bit burnt, or chapped badly. I also got bit by a 'jack jumper' which is some sort of large, biting ant. I now call this insect "jerk jumper". The bite is no longer painful, or itchy, but ten days later the bite is still visible. Monte & Roberto saw so many animals that I will have to post animal photos on their own. We saw wallabies the first night near my house, a seal at Fossil Cove, so many wallabies, and wombats in Cradle Mountain we almost didn't stop anymore to stare at them, echidnas very close up, dolphins near the shore by South Cape, possums on our porch, currawongs tapping on the window, pademelons, and even a Tasmanian devil, whose sightings are getting rarer due to the disease no one has been able to halt. Of course I feel even more aware of how good my life is as I continue to read about the fires and deaths due to fire on the mainland. We have cool weather and even some rain here.
I am deeply grateful for all I have.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that was wonderful! worth the wait. gratitude comes from true happiness.
love you!