Saturday, January 17, 2009

Every Day is Silent and Grey






Today I wanted to go feed the ducks and look for the Platypus. When I got in the car and turned on the radio, 'Xanadu' was playing-this made me want to drive around a bit and listen to the radio, 'Xanadu' was followed by 'Borderline', I was not disappointed. Platypus Pond isn't very far away, but the reserve in which the pond resides is quite big, so I thought I would drive to the other side of the reserve, thus having a longer drive and longer walk.
I got lost.
Quite a talent considering I live on a island and was driving on a road that is basically a huge loop. I did eventually find an entrance to the reserve, but not one I was familiar with, so after walking for an hour in one direction I turned around, giving up on the ducks. My sense of direction is terrible, I don't really even have an internal sense of left and right, I have to think about it. There is Mt. Wellington which is viewable from many places, this is my marker as the Space Needle or the Hollywood Sign was before it. There is also a light house nearby that helps orientate me. For the most part, I am sorry to say all dirt roads look alike to me.
I did come across an marked Aboriginal site, according to the sign, the Mouheneene tribe gathered in this bay to cook the days catch. Although the people who first came to Australia did as well as any other conquerors, I will say that I admire the Australians use of language when writing up such signs. The language tends towards words such as 'brutal', 'slaughter', 'invasion'. They don't pretty up the past here.
I like the neighborhood I was in, the reserve is bordered by houses, but houses that have large yards with horse runs, miniature ponies, lamas, and of course the occasional trampoline. There are lots of tree houses, no sidewalks, and no streetlights. I was pretty happy to see our more crowded suburb. Though I still wonder what the feeling would be, to sit with my morning coffee and not be able to see the edge of my yard.
Is it just me or is that caterpillar trying to be a bit too fancy with its furry antennae? It is going to grow into a Painted Acacia Moth or a Painted Apple Moth according to my (aforementioned) 'Wings' book by Elizabeth Daley.
The Moths here are much fancier than the butterflies. I am trying to desensitize myself into accepting these sorts of insects, as there are others, I can barely think about.

1 comment:

amra said...

beautiful beautiful pictures.