Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Archers

*photo borrowed from the Archers website

When I was in Sweden for an extended period of time, I discovered Podcasts. I did a lot of wandering around the web and I was lonely for the sound of the English language. This was over four years ago, before the programs were organized on sites such as iTunes or even yet embraced by professionals. As I waded through the different programs in search of a person who sounded better than a kid with his or her first tape recorder, I was reminded of using a CB radio. Now, I don't actually listen to any of the podcasts I started out with. The ones that I liked such as a music program out of Scotland stopped broadcasting (if broadcasting is a word I can use in this context), and others I grew tired of. I do still listen to quite a few, but they tend to come from established sources such as the short fiction program produced by 'The New Yorker', or the music programs produced by KEXP in Seattle. I listen to them when I am walking, gardening, driving, or even doing housework. I learn new things and somehow they are friendly.
I also enjoy a good radio play. The BBC excels at radio plays. The U.K. seems to have never doubted the radio play whereas America seems to have all but abandoned the concept. This brought me to a lovely coupling;
"The Archers"
The Archers is a daily radio show, presented on BBC 4 and also in podcast form. Each episode is about 15 minutes, depicting the lives in an English rural village. The radio show has been running continuously since 1951.
In strange ways listening to the show has aided my understanding of living in a low populated state, and there is quite a bit of farming. Tasmania is more the place where saffron and wasabi is being cultivated but there is also sheep breeding. I, being a city girl find myself quite ignorant of even farmer terminology. Words such as 'farrier' which is a person who trims and shoes horses hooves. Plus the world of the Archers being rural England has much in common with where I live now, there are Pubs, Pasty's, Show Day, and much too much talk about the weather.
I wish there were more ongoing radio dramas. I long for a nice 'Lights Out' podcast.

No comments: