Saturday, November 22, 2008

Platypuses not Platypi is the proper plural.

Tawny Frogmouth pretending to be a branch.
Storm damage.
Me.
Silly ducklings.
One of the Platypuses hangouts.

I used to go to this part of the Peter Murrell Reserve for the birds. There is a rare bird here called a forty-spotted paralote which isn't very easy to tell apart from a regular paralote. I saw my second Tawny Frogmouth here. The place is also lousy with Silvereyes, fancy honeyeaters, and of course the Superb fairy-wren. Then came the day I saw my first PLATYPUS. Sure, sure, I'd seen platypuses in zoos but not just outside, near my home! Good things happen from watching the platypus and he pops to the surface, swims a bit and then dives down, I get so enamored that I usually sit still long enough to see other creatures, like the bandicoot.
This was my first trip since returning home, and I am sad to say that all I saw were birds. We've had so much rain that all the gullies were full and some were doing a fair imitation of water-falls.

2 comments:

Monte Means said...

i hope you'll be able to introduce me to mr. platypus. i love the picture of you with the trees and sky above.

Unknown said...

It's lovely. You're awfully bloody ornithological throwing those bird names around!

Visit my new blog. itsmarkmitchell.blogspot.com