Monday, October 27, 2008

Life in the Suburbs






Our neighbor came over, practically in tears, going on about the problems he'd had with his plumbing while we were gone. How much money he had spent on the problem(I assume sewage coming up the mains). He had a 'builder' with him, and they had concluded that the Gum tree in our yard was the problem. I was deemed 'American' while I asked if a plumber had used the scope with a camera to look in the pipes. This suggestion was met with the usual, 'I suppose IN AMERICA' they do such things...
I could have put up a fight except that the tree is not very healthy, nor very pretty. I talked to my resident expert, Sue- who built her house next door before the neighborhood existed. She said the original owner of this house, trimmed the Gum incorrectly and it had been a wretched thing ever since.
Indeed the tree was rotten in the core.
Zok has promised me an advanced tree, because last year he took one down that I liked and then he bought me a twig! The Australian belief in most Gum/Eucalypts is that they grow too fast, so they sell you a twig. That one we planted eight months ago and and it is about 3 inches high.
I want a lilac tree. I am sure I will get a Eucalyptus.
The tree did block the view of the Bay and keep the morning light out of our eating area, so I suppose that is the biggest bonus of losing the tree.

No comments: