Tuesday, October 7, 2008

If the V.P. debate had been graded, Palin would be happy to know she was down there in the slightly lower side of the bell curve.


Where to begin? Let me tell you that I stayed up with Rufus to watch the debate at 3:30 a.m. in Malaga, Spain. We had more people for our PJ T.V. watching party but in the end we were the only two standing (or you know reclining).
I am really glad that I did, honestly I have been mostly ignoring or at least not searching out information on the election. As far as I am concerned there is only one way to vote so why torture myself with the details?
Days have passed and I have talked out most of my feelings about the debate, but I find that the what has stayed with me, is this impression that Sarah Palin is very like Dolores Umbridge. The sweet persona, the constant smiling, the tone of self-righteous condescension. The way she can smile, and look directly into the camera and state that she is for equal rights (unless you are gay, then all she really said is she would be 'tolerant' which sounded as if the subtext was 'I will wait a year or so before mandating the round up and sending off to camps for all "deviants").
The way she talked about 'the greater good'.
Constantly referring to this unrepresented middle America, but whose America is her America? Certainly not mine. If Palin is Umbridge then I get to be Hermione.
Like Hermione, I feel a real sense of foreboding about a women like Palin coming to power. She is not just under qualified, she is scary.

No comments: