Monday, October 13, 2008

Customs steals Serafina's Flight


So many hours to get home. We have one more flight left, but we've stayed over in Melbourne so at least today I feel human again. I always feel so nasty (as in 'not fresh') by the third and last flight to get to Australia. The feeling of pervasive stink gets compounded by the fact that the planes don't seem to actually get cleaned anymore. Spruced perhaps is a better word. The planes are now turned over so quickly, a sort of twenty minute change over to check the seat pockets and I assume change that wee bit of paper covering at the head rest. When I opened the 'personal entertainment' system on the last flight (since by Australian rules we were flying from 11 a.m. until 8 p.m. and therefore I should stay up for the flight), the screen was so dirty. There was some sort of sticky splash pattern, and grit all around the edges. This usually leads to my not really wanting any part of my head or body to touch any part of the chair or head rest.
Actually I shouldn't complain because Zok and I were upgraded to Business on the second flight (12 hours) and into Economy Plus on the third flight (10 hours).
I was still pretty punchy by the time we were going through customs. The customs agent took most of my snacks, the Stenbok (a traditional Swedish, straw, Christmas goat) and Serafina's broom!!!!!!! I was devastated, I have been looking for that particular kitchen witch for years. I suppose making a new broom won't be impossible, but really taking a bit of her sort of messed with an integral component of the thing...
But they almost took her 'full stop' as the Aussies say. So I should be happy...I suppose now she is an immigrant, she'll have to have a broom made of Eucalyptus wood.
Here she is before she was so rudely mutilated.

3 comments:

Monte Means said...

I know what you mean about planes no longer being cleaned properly and turned around too quickly. Sometimes I think I can still smell the person who last occupied my seat.

amra said...

why the hell did they have to take that witches broom?

Colleen said...

The broom was made of birch twigs I think, and foreign trees that have not been 'naturalized' are strictly forboden, Theodore sent me tea in a sort of home-crafted packaging, they took that as well. But kindly they gave me an option to have it sent back to him in NYC for $65.70.!